Saturday, April 12, 2008

How Much I Learnt in EAP Program


Maybe the most important question about EAP program is how much we have learnt. How different you think your level of English is since you started this program. For me that is a though question. For answering that question, first I better answer in each category separately. In the Listening and Speaking, for sure I am more fluent and my understanding improved but I do not know how much because I have nothing to compare now. The same thing is true about the Reading. I know more words and more important than that, I know more useful strategies now, unfortunately again nothing to compare with. In the writing, I have a lot to compare. Let me bring some evidence for you.
It is the introduction of my first essay in EAP 2.

There are many different things that a human looks for in life. Maybe one of the most important things is good living. With the purpose of having a good life, successful business could help a lot. A successful business in my opinion is a business that could survive in long term and turn a profit. In order to achieve this, the business needs many factors such as money, appropriate skills and a business plan.

This one is my introduction for the second term paper in EAP 3.

Air pollution, global warming, high price and decreasing reserves of fossil fuels, along with the world’s growing energy needs, have encouraged efforts to develop alternative energy sources. Due to these efforts, nowadays, many new energy sources are being used such as tidal power, hydroelectric power, pumped storage, and geothermal power. Although each of these new sources has its own strengths and benefits, none of them is capable of becoming the alternative energy source since they are hard to access and not efficient in comparison to fossil fuels. The most likely energy source that is capable of replacing society’s dependence on fossil fuels is solar power because of its prized advantages. Solar power is non-polluting, cost effective, and abundant. According to the Solar Energy Society of Canada “The Sun is a powerhouse, showering the earth every hour with more energy than the entire planet consumes in a year”. These points make solar power the energy of the future.

I guess my point is clear now. In the writing, considering the differences between my first essay and my last one, I can see how huge I changed my skills in English. I think if you have doubts about your improvment in English, you can compare like me, I am kind of sure you can see what I saw.

4 comments:

Oksana said...

No We are, not just you are :)
Hi-hi!:0

joanna said...

Your introduction is really wonderful. I wrote about the same topic and i have the same supporting ideas. But I can never think of such wonderful sentences.

Anton said...

I have learned a lot in that program because of our perfect teachers...

Jason said...

You are the best! :)